|::Departments : Clinical : Department of Surgery|
DEPARTMENT OF SURGERY|
Even before the renaming of Mahatma Gandhi Memorial Hospital / KAPV Government Medical College Hospital, the Surgical department in the Annal Gandhi Memorial Government Hospital was under one Senior Civil Surgeon Surgical specialist and Assistant Surgeons working under him. Once it became a Medical College Hospital in 2000, Surgical department started to function with 4 Surgical units with Professor/HOD of Surgery and Associate Professors and adequate number of Assistant Professors and Senior Residents, In 2007, our college became a Post Graduate Institution with four Post Graduate students intake per year. In addition, our department providing training for Theater Technician students as Paramedical Course.
We have Super speciality departments attached to surgery namely Neuro Surgery, Plastic Surgery, Paediatric Surgery, Surgical Gastro Entrology and Urology functioning in our hospital. The bed strength of the department is as follows, It has 120 teaching beds, 40 Post operative beds, 10 beds in Zero delay intensive care ward attached to casuality and 30 beds in the Triage ward. We have a Round the clock /24 hours functioning Emergency theatre (AE OT) for emergency surgical cases and a separate Main Operation Theatre (MOT) for elective surgical cases both for General Surgery as well as for the super speciality. We have a minor OT functioning in the OP block for operating minor surgical procedures in the OP.
NAME OF THE COURSE OFFERED
||Sanctioned No. of seats
||Affiliated University If applicable)
||Passed in +2 Exam
||150 + 3
||TN Dr. M.G.R
||85% State quota based on HSC mark
15% for all India quota based on entrance examination
||Passed in MBBS + 1yr CRRI
||TN Dr. M.G.R
||7 seats based an TN PG entrance exam
7seats based on all India PG entrance exam
UNIVERSITY EXAMINATION DETAILS
Ist year – Basic Science theory Examination
IIIrd year – Theory, Practical and Viva voce
Final year - Theory, Practical and Viva voce
Theatre Technician Course – Theory, Practical Viva voce
PERIODIC ACADEMIC ACTIVITIES HELD IN THE DEPARTMENT
Discussion by the Unit Chief’s
- Every Thursday – Surgeons meet – Clinical Case Discussion
- Every Saturday – Symposium - unit wise
- Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays & Fridays – Case Presentation and
CLINICAL SOCIETY MEETING
- A rare case of Oesophageal polyp.
- A case of TB appendix
- A rare case of carcinoid appendix presenting as intussusception
- A case of fracture penis with total disruption of urethra
Conducted every month on interesting cases from various departments
CME’S WORKSHOPS CONFERENCES CONDUCTED BY THE DEPARTMENT
||Continuing Surgical Education
||Hands on workshop on Suturing Skills
||Updates of Surgical Advances
||Basic and Advanced Suturing Techniques
||CME on gastric disorders
No of Units : 6
ADMISSION DAY AND THEATRE DAY (UNIT WISE)
Admission Day Theatre Day
Monday S I S II
Tuesday S II S III
Wednesday S III S IV
Thursday S IV S V
Friday S V S VI
Saturday S VI S I
Sunday all units in turns
- OP timings: 7.30am to 12.00pm.
After 12.00 noon, the Emergency Surgical cases are admitted through casualty in the Triage ward and Zero delay ward.
SURGERIES PERFORMED IN THE DEPARTMENT
The surgeries performed include general surgeries open / laparoscopic Cholecystectomies, Appendicectomies, Hernia Repair, Thyroidectomies, Mastectomies, Laparotomies for GI Malignancies and other Abdominal surgeries for non malignant conditions. Many other surgeries performed in this department include surgeries for varicose vein, Lumbar Sympathectomy, Parotidectomy, Submandibular, Salivary gland excision, surgeries like Haemarrhoidectomy, Fistulectomy, Sphincterotomy, Eversion of SAC for hydrocoele and Excision Biopsies done for many benign soft tissue tumours and cystic swellings are offered as our services.
LIST OF LAB TEST
Basic blood and urine investigations
Average lab test: 26400 tests Per year
DEPARTMENT OF PAEDIATRIC SURGERY
- DEPARTMENT HISTORY
- Even before the Mahathma Gandhi Memorial Government Hospital became the Medical College Hospital, the Paediatric Surgical wing was functioning separately at the premises of EVRM Paediatric block. From 1986.
- This hospital was converted to Medical College Hospital in 1997.
- The post of Professor of Paediatric Surgery was created Paediatric Surgery from 03.06.2008 onwards.
- A case of Congenital Uterine Prolapse treated by Thiersch wiring, published in Indian Journal of Surgery.
- A case of Pararenal Wilms Tumour operated ,published in Indian Journal of Surgery.
- OP days and Timings
- Every Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays between 9.00 am to 11.00 am
- Average OP - 40 patients.
- Bed strength of the department - 25.
- Average IP - 30 patients.
- Types of Surgeries performed
- All Major surgeries of Gastro Intestinal Tract for conditions like Ano Rectal Anamalies, Hirschprung’s Disease, Intestinal Obstruction ( Atrecias, Duplication Cysts, Intussusception, IHPS, Meconium Ileus, Malrotation with Volvulus) Meckel’s Diverticulum, Gastro Oesophageal reflux.
- All major surgeries of Hepato, Biliary and Pancreatic system for conditions like Hepatoblastoma, Choledochal cyst, Biliary atresia, Gall stones, Pancreatic Calculi, Pseudo pancreatic cyst, Portal hypertension.
- Major surgeries of spleen for conditions like Hemolytic anemia, etc.,
- Major surgeries of Kidney and Urinary retract for conditions like Wilms Tumour, Pelvi Ureteric junction obstruction, Vesico Ureteric reflux, PUV, Hypospadias.
- Surgeries for Undescended testis, Congenital hernia, Congenital phimosis.
- Major surgeries of Thorax for conditions like Tracheo Oesophagial fistula, Diaphragmatic hernia, Lung cyst, Empyema thoracis, Pyopericardium, Media stinal tumour.
- Major abdominal wall conditions like Exomphalus, Gastro schisis.
- Conditions like Ectopia Vesicae
- Conditions like Cystic Hygroma, Lymphangioma, Haemangioma, Hamartoma.
- Cleft lip, Cleft palate, Preauricular sinus, Thyroglossal cyst, Dermoid, Tumours of thyroid, Branchial sinus.
- Tumours like Neuro Blastoma, Tumours of testis, Teratoma, Rhabdomyosarcoma.
- Constriction bands.
- Skin grafting.
Professor - 3
Associate Professor - 3
Assistant Professor - 9
Senior Resident - 6
Junior Resident - 17