DEPARTMENT OF PHYSIOLOGY|
HISTORY OF DEPARTMENT
In the year of 1997 the Department of Physiology started functioning. Initially our Department was functioning inside the campus of Mahatma Gandhi Memorial Government Hospital, Tiruchirapalli then shifted to Newly builted K.A.P.Viswanatham Government Medical College, Periyamilaguparai in the year of 2000. We are giving the strong platform for the budding Doctors in the field of Physiology.
Type of course - Medical
Name of the Course offered – MBBS.,
Eligibility - +2 with Merit Base
Course Duration -5 ½ years
Sanction Number of Seats -150
Affiliated University – Tamil Nadu Dr.M.G.R Medical University, Chennai
Selection Procedure –as per the selection committee rules and regulation
University Examination Details –at the end one year students shoud appear for 2 theory paper and viva,practical and the internal assessment marks taken for consideration
Periodic Academic Activities - Weekly tutorial tests-7, Internal assessment exams (theory), 2 Practical exams and Model exams are conducted. Periodically internal exam marks and attendance percentage are sent to parents.
In The TamilNadu Dr.MGR Medical University Exam for I MBBS, from 2006 batch the pass percentage in Physiology is above 97%. Every year, 5-15 students get Distinction in Physiology with 1 or 2 Honors.
The department library has more than 300 books. Including even recent publications.
In every batch, student’s symposiums of 5-6 are being conducted. In each, 4-5 students will present the topic using black board/OHP/LCD. For each symposium, the concerned specialists are called as chair persons. Symposium gives confidence for the students and gives the good vision to understand the subjects.
CME, QUIZ AND OTHER ACTIVITIES
- Every year, 6 students are selected with the preliminary tests/quiz in our department and send to different colleges where the annual UG inter-medical quiz is conducted. They are accompanied by 1 or 2 teachers.
- Teachers are attending all annual Physiology conferences, UG and PG inter-medical quizzes conducted by Association of Physiologists of TamilNadu (APT).
- In the year 2008 January, CME was conducted in “High Altitude Physiology” along with Science & Adventure club of Trichy.
- In the year 2008 April 17th, the “Hemophilia Day” was celebrated along with the Hemophilia Society of Trichy & the CME was conducted.
- In the year 2012 October 5th, the I MBBS students participated and exhibited 5 models related to Eye in the “Oculofest-Intercollege CME/Quiz” conducted by Ophthalmology department of our college. The students got 2nd prize for their exhibit.
- Intermedical quiz - March 23rd 2013 at Chengalpattu Medical College.
- Physiology conference - Dept staff attended the conference on 5th and 6th Oct, 2013 at KMC, Chennai.
- Students participated in the 2013 Oculofest in presenting posters on 10th Oct 2013.
- Horizontal intergration - Topic - Liver on 9-12-2013.
- CME and GastroQuiz - 15 was conducted on 28-3-2015
- First MBBS students won the THIRD PLACE in the Annual intercollege Physiology quiz conducted at Govt. Medical College, Vellore
- CME "COPD - an update" was conducted on 16-4-2016