History of hospital
Mahathma Gandhi Memorial Government Hospital, Tiruchirappalli
Mahathma Gandhi memorial Government Hospital, Tiruchirappalli, (Intially it was named as Annal Gandhi Memorial Government Hospital, Tiruchirappalli) and it was renamed on 31.07.2012.
This hospital has great historical value since, our hospital was providing health care services from 1857. We are proud to say that our hospital is providing best possible medical services for more than 152 years.
Initially, it was started at Gandhi Market, Trichy. Then, the hospital building was built in the year 1950 at Puthur area. The year 1969 InPatient building was started. X-Ray unit was started 1966.
On 31.12.67 a separate building for the Paediatrics started functioning in the name of EVR Maniammai Paediatric Ward. In the year 1973, Siddha Medicine department was started. Siddha Medicine department is under control of Director of Medical services. Nursing assistant hostel was started in the year 1974 and the separate building for labour wardand main operation theatre started functioning since1997. In the same year Govt Rajaji T.B.Hospital was attached to Mahatma Ghandhi Memorial Govt Hospital. Bloodbank was started in the year 1979
Academic aspects - The School of Nursing started functioning since 1984. In the year 1997 KAPV. Govt Medical College was started and the hospital was attached to it and it became a teaching hospital since then.
The Department of Ophthalmology started functioning in the year 1997. Department of Radiology started providing CT scan services from 1997 and MRI services since 2007. Pshychiatric InPatient building and PG students hostel building started functioning from 2010.
The super speciality block was recently inagurated.